Thursday, July 30, 2015

Pierce the Heavens, Gurren Lagann

Another commission! My path towards arthood is well underway.

A friend of mine asked me to paint a picture of the drill from an anime titled Gurren Lagann. I have not watched this anime, but I've heard a lot about it. I also did a little research into the storyline and significance of the drill. The show takes place in a future Earth with some people living in subterranean villages. Some of these people are diggers that use drills to expand the living spaces underground. The main character, Simon, unearths a drill-key to a mecha and joins his brothers gang to one day reach the surface world.  There is much more to the show and you can find more information on the wikipedia page. 

Anyway, I created the painting based on other images of the drill and the dark to light represents the drill traveling from the isolated, subterranean world into the light of the surface world.  The spiraling clouds and dirt represent the divide between the two.  

I hope I've done the image justice with this painting. It is acrylic paint on canvas panel, size 11'' x 16''. (I think)




No comments:

Post a Comment