Saturday, February 2, 2013

Pardee and his Monsters

Alex Pardee is one of my personal favorite artists. He was born in Antioch, California on February 5, 1976. (According to Wikipedia, anyway) The first piece of his artwork I saw was the artwork for THE USED's album, "In Love and Death," they also happen to be my favorite band. I adored the art and looked into the artist and as I browsed more of his art, I fell in love. My favorite band + my favorite artist = my heaven.

"In Love and Death" by The Used; Art by Alex Pardee
He spent years fighting depression and anxiety, but dominated it with his love for art and creation. He also writes and loves to watch movies. His main medium is pen and ink, but also used markers, watercolors, and much more. In many of the interviews, bio's, and 'about me' sections, he says he loves you. Very much. That makes me glad because I love his art, and him too. He sounds awesome.

Owlex by Pardee

He has also done more album art for THE USED, as well as AIDEN, IN FLAMES, STREET DRUM CORP, and others. His experience expands to include music videos, comics, calendars, and art for Warner Bros' motion picture SUCKER PUNCH. He has worked for Hurley International and Twenty Twenty Skateboards. He also worked on the WB's web series "Chadam," where there are ten webisodes. Chadam was also featured on THE USED's album "Lies for the Liars."




Concept art for Sucker Punch by Pardee


Pardee's concept  and figurine


Pardee is listed as a freelance artist, clothing designer, and comics creator. He claims to have been artistically influenced by The Maxx, The Garbage Pail Kids, Spawn, and Tales from the Crypt, while being overly influenced by 80's horror flicks, pop art, graffiti, and gangster rap.

live action Chadam and friends, by Pardee


He has his own art and clothing label called Zerofriends, which includes a couple other artists and a store in Oakland, CA. If I ever visit Cali, that's the first place I'll go...maybe only place. I won't have any money left after I leave the building.

Monster Urkel by Pardee


Alex Pardee's blog, EyeSuckInk, where he talks about his stuff, stuff he likes, and random stuff. It's full of neat stuff. Once in a while he'll mention his girlfriend, Chloe Rice, whom also has a blog. It's like everyone has a blog these days, sheesh.

Pardee has a small series of drawings and toys called Bunnywith. They consist of bunnies with something attached, wrong, controlling, or otherwise disturbing about them.

Bunnywith Intro 
One of the Bunnywith plushies
Pardee also creates parodies of characters, (the Urkel image above), along with many, many, many original monsters. It has been difficult to write this because I keep getting distracted looking at the art and learning about him. It's been hard to choose what goes into this blog, I think it's all so fantastic and inspiring.

Here is a wonderful interview between Lloyd Harvey and Alex Pardee that I was fond of and needed to share.

**The links may not be the official site, but it is further referencing the art or music.**
**I do NOT own any of the above images**

No comments:

Post a Comment